a blog to argue with danny

Saturday, August 05, 2006

When I'm thinking alone, I prefer to be by myself

My roommates have been absent for about a week or so, leaving me alone in my apartment, and it's got me thinking, about, well, isolation. I remembered a verse in Proverbs on the subject, so I looked it up and found this:

Each heart knows its own bitterness, and no one else can share its joy. ~ Proverbs 14:10

Now, if I'm reading and thinking about this correctly, it says there is this part of everyone that will never be known by anyone else. Of course I'm speaking from a certain perspective, I suppose after being married for 50-60 years I'd probably have a different opinion on the matter. However, it does seem adamant that the pains and joy each person experiences can be shared with others, but there will always be some hidden inner self that can only be seen by God. There's two ways of going with this line of thought. The first is you can despair over the fact that you will never get to know anyone fully, and take pride in the fact that no one will ever know you. It's a lonely road that leads to seeing yourself at the center of the universe. Isn't this the path of half the teenagers out there (myself included, back in the day), muttering under their breath, "I'm such a complicated an unique person that you could never possibly know." Then, the other way to go is to look around, and realize that every person you come across or see is an infinitely complex person, with an inner joy that can only ever be experienced by that person. It should end up having the reverse effect, almost a complete awe of friends and strangers, that the intrinsic value of this person is something greater and unique, a perspective and knowledge of God that you will never fully know, and so, place the upmost value in. It would also be the end of judgment. Sure, you can question a certain behavior or attitude in someone and bring it to their attention, but the final action of placing a verdict on this behavior is completely out of your control. There is a unique path for all of us, as we read at the end of John :

Jesus said, "Feed my sheep. I tell you the truth, when you were younger you dressed yourself and went where you wanted; but when you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go." Jesus said this to indicate the kind of death by which Peter would glorify God. Then he said to him, "Follow me!" Peter turned and saw that the disciple whom Jesus loved was following them. (This was the one who had leaned back against Jesus at the supper and had said, "Lord, who is going to betray you?") When Peter saw him, he asked, "Lord, what about him?" Jesus answered, "If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you? You must follow me."

I love this response of Peter's. Basically, Jesus told he would die for following Jesus, and his first reaction is to see if that guy's going to die too. It's like he was making sure he wasn't getting a raw deal. And Jesus just told him, don't worry about it. It's the end of whining about what an easy road it seems other people have, how you see your life as some kind of penultimate modern Job. The pains and sorrows of each person are fully known to them, but it brings about a certain peace and joy that's all their own. Of course, that's just like, my opinion, anyone can chime in and say I'm wrong.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

what up fresh... i'll be back in town on the 13th afternoon... is kontra in reference to super contra? cool man... oh yeah, what about an blog entry on the jets! may be that french film with those acrobatic jump-through-window dues? man, i bought you a bottle of coke in south africa, but i forgot it and left it in dana's car. cool man... i'll talk to you in a bit... peace in the middle east -mike

12:53 AM

 
Blogger Andrew said...

it's german, for counter point, i thought kontra punkt sounded cool. i'm storing up alot of ranting about the jets, it's all gonna come out some day.

4:59 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the new look of the blog. Heh heh, you're trapped now...

And "kontrapunkt" makes me think of something you'd snarl at a kid after beating him at the old-school NES game. So I like it.

8:26 AM

 
Blogger Andrew said...

well....it's a beautiful language

3:39 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home