a blog to argue with danny

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Mid-season baseball report

No matter what the outcome of the 2006 season is, by far my favorite trend is: with one out and a tight situation, walk the guy before a-rod because a-rod's going to hit in to a double play. My question is, has anyone seen a-rod and peyton manning in the same room together? Because, either they are both pursuing the dan marino record of MVP awards without a title, or there's some shape-shifting choke artist out there. Just a food for thought: by the end of a-rod's 10 year contract, if you take all the money he'll earn and cash it out into single dollar bills and align them end to end, the line will go once around the world with enough left over to waltz across texas. In that timeframe, the average american will just about cover rhode island.

ps. I kind like this Abreu trade. The Yankees outfield has been getting better production this season than last. Now they've gone and screwed with something that was working, and angered Sheffield.

3 Comments:

Blogger danny said...

Hey, remember that time when A-Rod won the MVP over Ortiz? Yeah, that was smart.

As for the trade, I find it interesting that instead of filling their biggest need (pitching) they decided to fix something that wasn't really broken. I mean, you have a pitching staff full of number 5 starters so you go get another outfielder. Gotta love it.

A side note, I was talking with my dad last night and he pointed out that while the charge that the Yankees buy pennants is often not entirely true, in this case it sure seems to be. I mean, they gave up nothing and agreed to pay Abreu's entire contract. If that isn't an attempt to buy a pennant, I don't know what is.

6:05 AM

 
Blogger Andrew said...

You know, after last night I think Ortiz has exceeded being merely just an MVP. My working theory is, when Ortiz is on deck in walk-off situations, the pitchers are so intimidated that they lose focus and Loretta comes through.

For the Yankees, I suppose it's easy to pick up offensive powerhouses from other teams, rather then developing a farm system that can provide good pitching.

6:10 AM

 
Blogger danny said...

I think part of the Yankees problem is that they are incapable of not trying to win right away, therefore they trade the future. There comes a point when you have to admit that you aren't likely to win this year and start building for next year (and the years after that). Steinbrenner is too proud. Of course, he's also the devil incarnate, so that's not suprising.

2:10 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home