a blog to argue with danny

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Movie Trailer Roundup

Running with Scissors

Well that's a very nice trailer. It has nice little sentences to say what's wrong with the characters, quirky little jokes, and a narrative voice that tells you the name of the movie and everyone in it (and there's a heck of alot of people). Oh, and an Elton John song too, which makes it appear playful yet touching. Granted, I don't want to see the thing, but it seems uplifting.

The Last Kiss

Ah the Zach Braff emo franchise continues. But this time, he does narration. I also like how this website let you know right off the bat it's another movie of him staring at the camera looking forlorn, ala Garden "look at me, I'm Glum!" State. From what I can tell, the guy's going through another 20 something crisis where he feels life and adventure are slipping away forever; so he needs to take one crazy adventure that could be edited down to 2 hours. Oh, and he has to choose between his steady girlfriend and some new girl, who look and appear to act exactly the same, it kinda weirded me out. The trailer does pose a couple of interesting questions, and really makes you think, that maybe Zach Braff should stop whining so much. Heck, his best role is a sit-com, the goofy Scrubs episode are ten times better than the drawn-out, emotional ones. Ah, but if it turns out to be a good movie, I guess I'll see it, in my Death Cab for Cutie baby tee.

The Nativity Story

Fresh of the success of The Passion, we're getting our next biblical epic. There's not much in this trailer, all it tells you is apparently the movie is shot completely in silhouettes, Jesus is important, and coincidently is coming out in December. I was a little nervous how this whole story was going to be portrayed, so I went and checked out IMDB. Much to my tempered delight, Mary is going to played by a teenager (16 year old Keisha Castle-Hughes actually), and the cast has a nice non-white tint. In fact, Elizabeth is going to be played by the terrorist mother from 24, which should make the 16 year old terrorist from 24 John the Baptist. And Gabriel is going to be that nice prince from Syriana, the one who was all convicted about stuff. The director is pretty inexperienced, but has won alot of praise with two other, teenager coming of age stories.

Children of Men

The name of this movie intrigued me because I thought children of men was a goofy statement. I still think it's kinda goofy. And wasn't the human project the name of that fake charity George Castanza set up?

Flicka

Okay, a teenage girl discovering her place in the world by discovering the magic of horses and reuniting with her father. I really don't think they expect me to like this movie, as opposed to say....

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

See, right there, got the word assassination right there in the title, it's got to be good. It's one of those words that instantly can make a movie seem cooler, like "Snakes" or "Plane", sometimes "on". I like the history of Jesse James and that dirty little coward Robert Ford. Hopefully this isn't Titanic all over again, I thought it was going to be about a boat.

Employee of the Month

If you ever want to see a 2 minute movie, there ya go. Ever plot point, surprise, how characters change and discover themselves and get their come-up-ance (I have no idea if you can spell that word). Heck, it even has the appropriate music to hammer home the fact of what's happening, Jessica Simpson is supposed to be beautiful, the employee of the month competition is like Rocky vs. Apollo Creed, and it's all around fun! But for some reason, the trailer voice over guy recorded his work through a bullhorn. And you can tell they were really digging to get any joke they could from the movie. By the end of the trailer, everyone's learned a valuable lesson, that it's whats inside that counts, and you can't judge a book by its cover, well, I guess you partially can.

The Prestige

Yea, that'll be cool.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, Zach Braff does have to stop looking so sad in movies. He really is better in the non-emo eps of Scrubs. I'm getting tired of his whining. You know, I really liked Garden State the first time I saw it. But I liked it less on each subsequent viewing. Just seemed shallow at the end.

7:36 AM

 
Blogger Andrew said...

His next movie is some kind of remake of a chevy chase vehicle, so I guess that can't be emo.

6:12 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home